Since 1948, World Health Day has been celebrated on 7 April, a date chosen to commemorate the founding of the World Health Organization (WHO) in recognition of health as a basic and universal right, as well as to promote access to quality health care in all regions of the world, especially for the poor.
In 2020, World Health Day caught us in the midst of the confinement, decreed in most of the world, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to the painful personal losses, this situation has changed the habits of many of us and has highlighted the importance of wellbeing and health.
This year, the central theme of World Health Day is “Our Planet, Our Health“. Through this campaign, individuals, communities, governments and organisations around the world are invited to join forces and work to take the necessary steps to protect our physical and mental health, as well as the planet.
The WHO estimates that more than 13 million people die each year from preventable environmental causes, with the climate crisis being the greatest health threat facing humanity.
We must be sensitive to these needs and adopt measures that contribute to improving the health of people and the planet. Some of the actions that we apply from the IDP Group, both environmental and for the improvement of the health and well-being of all the company’s team are:
- We implement energy efficiency measures in all our offices and all our energy consumption comes from renewable energy sources.
- We recover 100% of the waste we generate in the development of our activity (paper, toner and WEEE).
- We measure our carbon footprint on a quarterly basis and apply measures for its progressive reduction.
- We implement teleworking, encourage work-life balance and flexible working hours, thus reducing travel as far as possible.
- We encourage healthy habits among the entire company team.
- One day a week, we offer fresh, organic and local fruit in the office.
- We gradually replace some processed products from the vending machine with healthier options, such as non-carbonated drinks, natural juices with no added sugars, dried fruit, organic products, etc.
Our small decisions and daily actions can tip the balance to improve our health and also to build societies based on well-being and respect for the environment.
Take care of yourself and protect your environment!